Saturday, April 9, 2011

Learning Curves



Wow what a few weeks of trials and learning's.

First lesson- Patience.

Second lesson - What can go wrong, will go wrong

Third lesson - Having a tooth pulled out hurts (alot) and no they do not let you keep your tooth





Crating artworks for Art Melbourne
The universe works in mysterious ways.  Why is it that when you are really busy and have alot on with deadlines looming things go wrong.  First a week of being sick, then a week of trips to the dentist with a bad tooth and lastly needing to uncrate all my crated artwork and reshoot the photos.

Lighting is not right.

I have experienced a large learning curve over the last few weeks on how to and how not to photograph artwork.  I quite openly declare that anything to do with photography means my mind automatically shuts down. However one part of being an artist means the documentation and promotion of your work and if you are like me there is no money in the current budget for a professional photographer so it is DIY.  

So two weeks later, one new camera, new lens and new studio lights and I have photos.  I now slightly understand aperture, ISO, white balance,exposure and the importance of getting the lighting correct.    One book I found helpful was Photographing Arts, Crafts & Collectibles: Take Great Digital Photos for Portfolios, Documentation, or Selling on the Web by Steve Meltzer

PS I forgot to mention if you decide to photograph your own work look forward to some (alot of ) trial and error. Apparently practice does make perfect. 

My next learning curve ....... how to design promotional materials or find a graphic artist who is willing to help me.  Any offers?