Friday, August 19, 2011

InTension- Fibre Exhibition



Finding Home - Christine Atkins 180 x 104 x 24cm

Last Sunday I helped man the WAFTA exhibition at the Moores Building in Fremantle. 

The exhibition was themed around architecture,  black and white and bold colours.  As you could imagine it could be extremely difficult to curate a show with so many diverse artists, but WAFTA did a wonderful job of pulling together a interesting and cohesive exhibition.

Unfortunately photos were not allowed so I can not show you any of the works except mine.  The hanging of the exhibition was really well done and interesting, with a 2D and 3D section.  All the 2D panels were mounted on bamboo sticks and hung as if they were floating in space.  Hard to explain without photos.  I took some time to stand in the middle of the space and the effect was very interesting.  Upstairs were the 3D works, which of course are always my favorites.  There were a group of felted and patch worked dogs that were great fun with each one having its own unique character, by Karen Cameron.  As I was downstairs for most of the time I did not get the chance to study the amazing pieces in as much detail as I would have liked.  I am hoping that I will get a chance to go and have another look before the exhibition closes.


PS:  there is a nice coffeeshop inside the building for coffee after visiting the exhibition.